THE BASICS OF SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
To optimize SEO, we have a basic hierarchy to achieve it. The fundamentals of this SEO organizes your page to rank on top. It is a mozlow's hierarchy of SEO which in needs to improve competitiveness and get an essential ranking. There are seven steps to follow. They are,
- CRAWL ACCESSIBILITY - engines reach your website and index it.
- COMPELLING CONTENT - the answer's for the search's query
- KEYWORD OPTIMIZED - to attract searchers and engine
- GREAT USER EXPERIENCE - fast loading speed for easy usage
- SHARE-WORTHY CONTENT - earns links, citations, and amplification
- TITLE, URL, AND DESCRIPTION - high CTR(CLICK THROUGH RATE) in rankings
- SNIPPET/SCHEMA MARKUP - stand out in SERP's
HOW DO SEARCH ENGINES WORK
Search engines are the result pages for your queries in which they exist to discover, understand, and organizes the content to offer the most relevant results. To show up in search results, first, your content should be visible to the search engines or for google bot. There are three major functions in which search engines work
- INDEXING &
HOW CRAWLING WORKS IN SEARCH ENGINE
Crawling is the process of discovering your content page with the help of a Google bot(named as robots or crawlers or spiders). It is sent by Google to find the new and updated content via the internet. They may reach your site through the content or over the code or the URL of each content. Google bot starts crawling a webpage through the URL links on the webpages. In this way, they find the new URLs and add them to their index called caffeine, where massive databases are found, and later it is received by searchers on google's result page.
HOW INDEXING WORKS IN SEARCH ENGINE
During the crawling process, the content gets stored and organized on the index page. Once a page is in the index, it is ready to be displayed for the relevant results for the queries.
HOW RANKING WORKS IN SEARCH ENGINE
After the crawling and indexing process, Ranking provides the relevant results for the searchers in the SERP. It means that result has been prioritized by the most relevant to least relevant results. Google have their own strategies to rank the website on top pages. This ordering for search results by relevance is known as ranking.
HOW DO SEARCH ENGINE FIND YOUR PAGES BY CRAWLING
As you already have a new website for exploration, make sure your pages are crawled and indexed is a prerequisite for showing in SERP. It might be helpful to show how many of your pages are in the index.
# One way to check your page is indexed is "site:yourdomain.com", an advanced search operator. Search in Google into the search bar and check whether your site is indexed. This will yield your site is indexed and displayed on the result page. The google result displays with the number and it may not be exact but you can get an idea of your indexed pages. For more accurate results, you can use the index coverage report in Google Search Console. You can also sign up for a free account in the Google search console so that you can submit the sitemaps for your site and monitor how many submitted pages have been added to Google's index.
# To direct the Googlebot away from certain pages and some modules in sites, use Robots.txt. It is located in the root directory of websites, for example, yourdomain.com/robots.txt. It directs you to search engines which pages should be crawled and should not and also the speed at which they crawl your site via specific robots.txt directives. If Googlebot finds robots.txt files for a site, it abides by the suggestions and proceeds to crawl the site. Otherwise, it won't crawl the site if it finds an error.
# Not all web robots follow robots.txt. Some people with bad intentions may build bots to unfollow these protocols and may hack the location of your private content using robots.txt files. Also, they make your content not visible on the index page by block crawlers from private pages. Before going to robots.txt, you can read all the instructions in the robots.txt portion.
# When you receive 4XX errors while search engine crawls, it means they are client errors. It means the requested URL contains bad syntax or not fulfilled. The most common error is "404-not found". You may receive due to URL typo, deleted page, or broken redirect. When a user receives a 404, they cannot access the URL and found difficult to stay on the page.
# When you receive 5XX errors, it is due to a server error. It means the webpage is failed to fulfill the server or search engine's request to access the page.
# When you receive 3XX errors, it means that they are redirected to a new URL(301 error specifically). It also helps Google to find and index the new version of the page. It mentions that the page has been moved to a new location permanently and better avoid redirecting URLs to irrelevant pages. There is a 302 error for temporary moves in redirecting a page.
HOW DO SEARCH ENGINES INDEX YOUR WEBSITE?
After ensuring your site has been crawled, the next process is indexing. In indexing, the discovered pages are stored. After the crawler finding a page, it renders like a browser such that the search engine analyzes the page, and hence all of that information is stored in its index. Sometimes, the URL may be removed from the index page for some of the major reasons.
- # The URL returns when a "not found" error(4XX) or server error(5XX) could be accidental or intentional.
- # Noindex meta tag can be added by the site owners in the URL to instruct the search engine to omit the page from its index.
- # If the site owners violated the search engine's WebMaster Guidelines, the URL has been manually penalized and as a result, it is removed from the index.
- # If the site is asked for a password before the visitors entering the site, the URL has been blocked automatically from crawling.
To know your status of the page, you can utilize by URL inspection tool or use fetch as Google which has a "Request Indexing " feature to submit the individual URLs to the index. There are Robots meta directives or Robots meta tags, instructions to search engines on how you need to treat your webpages. These instructions are executed via Robot meta tags only to show your current status of the page. It can be executed via theof your HTML page, which is most commonly used, or via the X-Robots Tag in the HTTP header. It excludes all over the page or a particular page. These are the most common Robot Meta Tags, they are
- * index/no index - Index, which is used when the pages can be crawled and indexed. No index, when the page should be excluded from the search results page.
- * follow/nofollow - It tells the search engines whether they have to follow the links on your page and passing links through URLs or nofollow to not follow the links on your page.
- * noarchive - It is used to restrict the search engines from saving a cached copy of the page. if it is applied, the search engines maintain all the copies of the page which is indexed and accessible for the searchers through the cached link.
The other one which is used rarely, X-Robots-Tag, which is used in the HTTP header section of your URL. It applies more flexibility and functionality than meta tags to block search engines or to block non-HTML files. The directives used in Robots meta tags can also be used in X-Robots-Tag
After following these protocols, why your site not showing up anywhere on the index page?
- * Maybe your site not been crawled yet as it is brand new
- * Maybe all the pages of your site has not been crawled or other pages or sections are obscured for any other reason
- * Maybe the navigation of your site is very difficult to crawl for the robot
- * Maybe its plagiarized content and blocked by Google and for other fraudulent activities
- * Make sure your home page alone has been indexed and some pages are not discovered by the search engine
- * Robots cannot use search forms, fill out forms, survey forms as they won't log in and go inside to see the protected pages.
- * Non-text media forms such as images, videos, gifs should not be used to display text that cannot be indexed as they cannot be recognized or read or able to understand. It's better to add text within the markup of your webpage.
- * Maybe your navigation was not clear and not helpful URL folder structures.
HOW DO SEARCH ENGINES RANK YOUR WEBSITE
The ranking is the process of ordering the search results by most relevant to least relevant of the searcher's query. Page Rank is a link analysis algorithm founded by Larry Page. It measures the page by the quality and quantity of the links which is more relevant, trustworthy, and more important. The other way to rank your webpage on top is by adding the natural backlink of higher authority websites which is more trusted.
For placing your website on top in SERP, content also plays an important role. The content should have video content, image content, relevant information to attract the searchers and deliver them their relevant answers.
Rank Brain is the machine learning component of Google's core algorithm. It is a computer program that is always predicting the observations and training data and also it is always improving the format of search results. It is always updating its performance to do more better.
Keyword Research is an important factor in SEO. We should first analyze what your audience needs. It makes a better understanding of the target in the market and how they are searching for your services, products, or content. Keyword research provides you with the exact search data and answers you, what people are searching for, and in What all information they required, and the number of people searching for it.
You should always have a few keyword research in mind and with the help of KEYWORD RESEARCH TOOL, you can discover the keywords in-depth as average monthly search volume and many similar keywords. You can also prioritize your keyword by getting high and low competition keywords in search volume. Higher the search volume, the greater the competition and thus the effort required to achieve the higher rankings. Also, long-tail keywords but the lower search volume yields good results as the searcher searching intentionally.
There are some tools to determine the value of your keywords.
- GOOGLE ADWORDS KEYWORD TOOL - Google keyword tool is the specific tool search in which you get the large search volumes with more number of tools specific with a range.
- GOOGLE TRENDS - Google trends is the specific tool for seasonal keyword fluctuations.
- ANSWERTHEPUBLIC - It is a free tool that is for common search for a common question for a specific keyword.
After the search engine has crawled, indexed, and ranked your website, it is very important to follow these SEO techniques to make your page reach the top in SERP. The techniques include
- On-Page SEO
- Off-Page SEO
- Technical SEO
On-page SEO generates more traffic to your website by developing the content and its HTML source code. It makes your webpage rank higher on the SERP and hence, more traffic to your website to increase your business development. There are some of the SEO techniques which should be followed to rank higher,
- TITLE TAGS: A title tag is a header element that is to be specified on the title of your website in HTML by text format that is displayed on the SERP. Your title tag should be lengthier to impress the searcher as it is the first impression on the SERP. Add your company name at the end of the title to brand your business and the title should be related to the keyword and must look unique. But should not stuff more keywords in your content too.
- HEADING/HEADERS: Inside the content, headings should be highlighted to insist more attention to the topic.
- PAGE CONTENT: A content should be grasped with a minimum of 1200 words. Content should have more relevant images to understand the content for the searcher with headings and subheadings highlighted. Linking to another webpage also increases traffic to your website. It may be backlinks, or internal links, or external links.
Off-Page SEO is a technique that performs outside your website to improve your ranking on the SERP. It also shows how the audience reviews your website. Off-Page SEO in short is building links to your website. Those links determine your pages. Some of the Off-Page's elements are Backlinks, Follow and Non-follow, Anchor text, Link juice, Relevancy.
1.Backlinks are the important Off-Page SEO. Search engines like Google, bing, and many more make use of backlinks to determine the quality of your website. You can use SEO tools like Ahrefs, SEMRush to check your backlinks as they help you in understanding how to create the backlinks and how to handle them. There are three types of links that are present on the webpage connecting your website to other websites. They are
- Natural links
- Manually Built links
- Self-Created links
2.Link Building is the main factor to achieve higher rankings in off-page SEO. There are many ways through which you can include links.
- BLOGS: You can always write articles on blogs page and make pointing towards your website. It updates you on current market trends and recognizes you in digital marketing.
- COMMENT LINK: Always make your article linked in the comment section. So that you can view reviews of the customer and if any issues are mentioned in the comment, solve it and guide them. This is one of the ways of achieving customer engagement.
- ARTICLE DISTRIBUTION: This is the other way of getting more traffic to your website. It deals with creating videos and writing blogs. Expose your content by including videos and images.
3.Anchor Text is a visible text in the hyperlink present in any article when they are linking to another website. Anchor text must be used in HTML specifications. It is used by search engines which shows how the audience views your website.
How SEO builds your business to grow?
In this digital world, consumers are very much dependent on search engines to learn more about products and services and to get relevant information. Building trust and credibility will positively affect your businesses and generate sales. Effective SEO strategies can help build your brand image and leads to organic traffic for your website. SEO not only focuses on the higher rankings but also on the target audience. While ranking websites, Google mainly only focuses on the quality and quantity of the content and the overall structure and layout of the website. In SEO, you have to regularly upgrade and refine yourself. SEO tools make you understand the target audience and thus improves your business development. SEO is the simplest and best way to improve digital Marketing for promoting business online and satisfy the customer. SEO is inbound marketing than other marketing. It is easy for the customers to find your business when they are looking for any information.